Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same on Blu-ray

Led Zeppelin -
The Song Remains the Same [Blu-ray]
Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same [Blu-ray]


Probably not what most think of when they think of blues music, but I always associate Led Zeppelin with the blues.

I can't tell you the number of times that I have seen the Led Zeppelin Concert movie The Song Remains the Same. Filmed during the band's legendary three-night stand at Madison Square Garden in July 1973 and released theatrically in 1976, The Song Remains The Same features Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and the late John Bonham in a mesmerizing movie with classic music performances that include 'Dazed and Confused', 'Stairway to Heaven', 'Whole Lotta Love' and more.

It used to get shown here in San Diego as a midnight movie back when I was a young seamen in the Navy, back in the early eighties. Me and my buds would go to the midnight movie, and try to pick up girls, in various states of sobriety (that is why I can't remember just how many times I have seen it.)

But I will admit that I enjoyed it every time, that is why I kept going back, LOL.

This two disc set contains;
In addition to their performances, fantasy sequences and at-home glimpses of Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and the late John Bonham, this Special Edition has over 40 minutes of newly-added extra features including: Two never-before-released songs in rare performance footage: Celebration and Over the Hills and Far Away; Vintage TV Footage: Drake Hotel Robbery during the New York Concert Stand; Robert Plant BBC Interview and Tampa Concert Band Arrival.



Other Led Zeppelin DVDs @Amazon.com

Led Zeppelin @SqueezeMyLemon


3 comments:

David Stock said...

Led Zeppelin will always be one of the greatest bands in the world.

mister anchovy said...

I expect to get beat up pretty badly for this comment, but here goes...

I never really liked Led Zeppelin. I'm not big on screaming guitar licks and guitar heros. When I listen to Led Zeppelin's music, I always feel as if they were trying to hit me over the head with it.

When I have said this to my peers, they typically look at me like I'm some kind of crazy guy. What do you mean you don't like Led Zeppelin?

I think that one of the things that drove me to seek out some of the older blues traditions was a general dis-satisfaction with what the rocker dudes did with blues. I understand that it was innovative and exciting to a lot of people, and sure I do like some rock n roll. (I still like some rock n roll a lot) I was just left with a general dis-satisfaction with it at a certain point in my life. The same feeling drove me to look at other ethnic folk music traditions as well, and that's how I became interested in accordion music, polka, Tex-Mex, Zydeco, Cajun, Newfoundland music,and further afield, Trikitixa from Basqueland, Tarantella from Italy and so on.

The first commenter here might well be right. Perhaps Led Zeppelin will always be one of the greatest bands in the world. I accept that it may be a defect in my own little brain that causes me to just not get it.

Try not to beat me up too badly please.

All-Tube said...

There is room for many facets of music, but in general I do not like Led Zeppelin (mainly the vocals), while I do appreciate some of Jimmy Page's guitar-playing hooks within the rock context. I look to soul singers such as Otis Clay or soulful singer/guitarists such as Little Milton or W. C. Clark, along with many others presenting a unique voice to the blues including: Buddy Guy, Jimmy Dawkins, Ronnie Earl, Melvin Taylor, and Bobby Radcliff. I also like some early rock 'n' roll and surf, but much of rock has butchered the tasteful traditions of other musical forms to satisfy the commercial aspects of the music industry with decreasing benefits to the listening public and the artists themselves.