Monday, June 22, 2009

Just Curious...

If you had to, right now, off the top of your head, list your ten favourite blues tunes, what would they be?

I think mine might change from day to day, week to week, but for right this second, and in no particular order, here goes:
Brokedown Engine (I like both the Blind Willie McTell version and the Bob Dylan version from World Gone Wrong)
Rocket 88 (Some people call it the first rock n roll song, on Sun Records. It's credited to sax player and vocalist Jackie Brenston but it was Ike Turner's band).
Don't Start me Talkin' (I love the way James Cotton covered this great Sonny Boy Williamson tune).
Sitting on Top of the World (Mississippi Sheiks, Howlin Wolf)
Natural Born Eastman (Furry Lewis)
Fattening Frogs for Snakes (Sonny Boy Williamson II again. He was a great songwriter)
Lonesome Day Blues (Bob Dylan from Love and Theft)
Flip Flop Fly (Big Joe Turner, Downchild Blues Band)
Sugar Bee (I like the Boozoo Chavis version of this often recorded tune)
Built for Comfort (You could substitute any number of Willie Dixon tunes here).

Here's Bob Dylan performing Don't Start me Talkin


But Mister Anchovy, how can you have a list like that and not include this one?


Har! Here's another one that should have made the list...


2 comments:

Ron Moorby said...

Great list, great ideas - as you say it keeps on changing. I'll have to listen to your choices and do some thinking. However thanks!

fitzgerald said...

OK, off the top of my head, my favorite blues tunes (right at this moment, LOL).

BB King - The Thrill is Gone
Howlin' Wolf - Sitting on Top of The World
Howlin' Wolf - Worried Life Blues
Sonny Boy Williamson - Don't Start Me Talking
Dave Perkins - Break (this is a new CD that I am listening to)
Robert Johnson - Traveling Riverside Blues
Sonny Boy Williamson - Bring It On Home
KebMo - Come on In My Kitchen
Taj Mahal - Leaving Trunk
Lightin' Hopkins - Mojo Hand

And can you believe that I did not mention Muddy Waters or John Lee Hooker. But if you ask me tomorrow, I'm sure they will make my list. LOL.