Monday, June 15, 2009

Honkey Tonk Women - A Compilation

I've always loved the Rolling Stones song Honky Tonk Women and would include it on my list of songs to be stranded on a desert island with. If I could only have one song, but have it done by several different musicians, then this might just be the one song that I would pick.

The lyrics to the song are very simple, and easy to transcribe;

I met a gin-soaked, bar-room queen in Memphis
She tried to take me upstairs for a ride
She had to heave me right across shoulder
'Cause I just can't seem to drink you off my mind

It's the Honky Tonk Women
Gimme, gimme, gimme the honky tonk blues

I laid a divorcee in New York City
I had to put up some kind of a fight
The lady then she covered me with roses
She blew my nose and then she blew my mind

It's the Honky Tonk Women
Gimme, gimme, gimme the honky tonk blues
It's the Honky Tonk Women
Gimme, gimme...
Alright!

It's the Honky Tonk Women
Gimme, gimme, gimme the honky tonk blues
Yeah, it's the Honky Tonk Women
Gimme, gimme...

In the Stones version that opening cow bell is just too cool, and always gets me going, and ready for the guitars.



Taj Mahal does a stripped down version that is just wonderful to listen to. I really love how he starts out humming, kind of makes you think about the songs rhythm a bit more. And I just love the harmonica part (but you probably already guessed that).



Then there is the Ike and Tina Turner version of the song. Man the background singers are worth the price of admission for this one. I love it, talking about smoking hot!


Honky Tonk Women mp3 by The Rolling Stones.

Honky Tonk Women mp3 by Ike & Tina Turner.

Honky Tonk Women mp3 by Joe Cocker.

Honky Tonk Women mp3 by The Flying Burrito Brothers.

Honky Tonk Women mp3 by Willie Nelson (feat. Leon Russell)

Honky Tonk Women mp3 by Humble Pie.

The Rolling Stones @Amazon.com

The Rolling Stones @SqueezeMyLemon


1 comment:

Unknown said...

The Pogues recorded "Honky Tonk Women" but I think it was a B-side to something else.