Tuesday, January 20, 2009

It's the Birthday of Leadbelly

Important Recordings 1934-1949
Important Recordings 1934-1949
please click image


Today is the birthday of singer, songwriter Huddie "Leadbelly" Ledbetter, born in Mooringsport, Louisiana, 1888.

He is best known for his versions of "Goodnight Irene" and "Rock Island Line." He was an inmate at Angola Prison in Louisiana when a white man named Alan Lomax arrived, asking to record any songs the prisoners knew. Lomax was traveling across the south making field recordings for the Library of Congress. Lomax helped him obtain a pardon and took him to New York where he was a big hit.

Over the years I have written several post on Leadbelly, click here for Leadbelly @SqueezeMyLemon.

file under;
, ,


4 comments:

mister anchovy said...

I heard a recording a while back featuring Leadbelly on button accordion, strangely enough. Like just about all his material, it was very very good.

Coffee Messiah said...

I never realized "in the pines" was a remake of a Leadbelly tune. I first heard it sung by Mickey Newbury. Where Will You Sleep Tonight I believe was LBs title.

Thanks as always, so many things to remember now on this date ; )

Cheers!

jadedj said...

Oh man, yeah. One of my all time favorites. I have a tape (need to get it digitized) of those original recordings. One of my most treasured tapes. Thanks one more time :)

fitzgerald said...

Thank you all for stopping by and leaving a comment. As you probably know from some of my other posting about Leadbelly, I grew up near where he used to play before he became famous. So he holds a special place in my heart.