Sunday, March 28, 2010

Hubert Sumlin & David Johansen - Killing Floor

Wikipedia

"Killing Floor" is a song by American blues singer-songwriter and guitarist Howlin' Wolf, featured on his 1966 album The Real Folk Blues. One of Wolf's best-known songs, "Killing Floor" has been covered by a wide variety of artists – including such high-profile acts as The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Eric Clapton and Led Zeppelin – and is frequently noticed as one of the most influential blues songs of all-time.
The Wolf's long time guitarist, Hubert Sumlin still performs this song. He played it with Eric Clapton, Jimmie Vaughan and Robert Cray at The Crossroads Guitar Festival.

The song's title references the slaughtering area of a slaughterhouse. The name also features as the title of an action-adventure novel by Lee Child (Killing Floor); the connection is likely to have arisen from the main character Jack Reacher's search for blues guitarist Blind Blake and the apparent link in musical genres.




I shoulda quit you, long time ago.
I shoulda quit you, baby, long time ago.
I shoulda quit you, and went on to Mexico.
If I hada followed, my first mind.
If I hada followed, my first mind.
I'da been gone, since my second time.
I shoulda went on, when my friend come from Mexico at me.
I shoulda went on, when my friend come from Mexico at me.
I was foolin with ya baby, I let ya put me on the killin floor.
Lord knows, I shoulda been gone.
Lord knows, I shoulda been gone.
And I wouldn't've been here, down on the killin floor.


No comments: