Sunday, October 05, 2008

Nobel Prize For Pete

I have written several times about Pete Seeger, here and in my other music blog. I've always wanted to do something to let Pete Seeger know how much I appreciate the help that he gave to so many blues musicians.

Simply put the man is a national treasure.

Please check out www.nobelprize4pete.org, and give them as much support as you can.



Pete Seger@SqueezeMyLemon

Pete Seeger, Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee - Cindy & Rock Island Line


Pete Seeger, Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee - I Couldn't Believe My Eyes


Pete Seeger and Mississippi John Hurt - Goodnight Irene


Pete Seeger and Elizabeth Cotten - Freight Train


2 comments:

mister anchovy said...

Many years ago, back in the 70s I'd say, I had the pleasure of attending a show by Pete Seeger and Arlo Guthrie at the old Ontario Place Forum in Toronto. The Forum featured free concerts and I had also been there to see the likes of Sonny and Brownie, James Cotton and the legendary Muddy Waters. It was a great place to see a show, an amphitheatre setting with a revolving stage and hills in behind for those who wanted to enjoy a picnic on the grass during the show.

I showed up a couple hours early to get a seat up front, and I staked out my seat along with perhaps twenty or thirty other music enthusiasts. The stage was already set up and much to our surprise, out came Pete and Arlo. While Arlo played a couple numbers, Pete walked up to the top of the hill to make sure that people up there would be able to hear OK. Then the two of them did a whole set together, prior to the show. What a treat that was!

It turned out to be one of the most delightful and warm musical experiences I've had, a rich, generous show playing music that spanned several decades, from Leadbelly to the Byrds.

Mr. Seeger recently came back to Toronto and played a couple shows at Hugh's Room, which I unfortunately missed, but which I heard were excellent.

I think it would be great to see Peter Seeger win a Nobel Prize!

fitzgerald said...

mister anchovy, thanks again for your great comments. I wish I could get to see Mr. Seeger.

I write about him, because I don't think that a lot of young people understand how valuable he has been to music.