Wednesday, October 22, 2008

New Release Sleepy John Estes – On 80 Highway

Sleepy John Estes – On 80 Highway (Delmark Records)
Click Image for On 80 Highway @ Amazon.com


Drop Down Mama - "Sleepy" John Estes.


Man I love Sleepy John Estes, his voice, his playing, everything about him just says good blues music. On 80 Highway features Sleepy John on vocals and guitar and Hammie Nixon singing and playing harmonica and kazoo. This has got me wanting to get a kazoo.

Reports on this album say that "this session from July 19, 1974 was recorded just before Sleepy John and Hammie Nixon departed for a tour of Japan. None of these performances have ever been issued…."

This is Sleepy John after his rediscovery in the 1960's so he is at full force here. (Release date: 10/21/08)

Sleepy John Estes @SqueezeMyLemon


2 comments:

E.J. Conn said...

Man, my gramma used to play kazoo as a joke but it was fun. I have hers in a box somewhere - she's passed on. Maybe she's jammin' with Sleepy John!

Thanks for the awesome website!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

My name is Hanna and I'm working in association with Thumbplay.com, a leading online platform of mobile entertainment content that offers ringtones, wallpapers, games and text-based services through a membership-based, community experience.

I feel the information on your site you provide is very useful. I would love to know if you could link to our ringtone resource.

Best regards,
Hanna