Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A Little Something For Seven Days

File this one under "give the people what they want."

Frequent reader and commenter Seven Days, left the following comment recently, "Would love to see you do a piece on Junior Kimbrough someday too."

Junior Kimbrough - Lord, Have Mercy On Me



DVDs @ Amazon.com featuring Junior Kimbrough


Robert Palmer, who also wrote the seminal book Deep Blues: A Musical and Cultural History of the Mississippi Delta, returned several years earlier to the delta to capture blues artists for his scrappy Fat Possum label. In this DVD he introduces us to the now-amplified but still elemental blues of R.L. Burnside, the late Junior Kimbrough, Jessie Mae Hemphill, Roosevelt "Booba" Barnes, and other keepers of the faith.


This DVD has "an interesting encounter with Junior Kimbrough described by Bono from U2 and much more. This is not for the faint of heart."



Junior Kimbrough @ SqueezeMyLemon
Junior Kimbrough, R.L. Burnside, and Buddy Guy mp3s@ Rollo & Grady mp3 blog.


2 comments:

Gary Grainger said...

Just thought I'd let you know I've just started presenting a weekly blues show on a local community radio station that is currently broadcasting internet only at www.bishopfm.com. It is on Monday nights 8-9pm UK time. The first show was last week and the playlist is at my blog as well as at myspace.com/bluesshow. I'm trying to get the show uploaded as a podcast. Check it out and keep up the good work here!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, thank you so very much!

Junior Kimbrough's music just splits me open about 37 different ways. Something about these Delta blues guys who lived it and then sang to tell about it that is just amazing and strikes me on a deeper level than the newer blues musicians of today. I love how Junior can make you feel sinful and sanctified all in one song.

I did see the movie "You See Me Laughing" when it was first released, and that was my introduction to such gems as Junior, RL Burnside, and Cedell Davis.

I look forward to digging more into your archives since I've just discovered this blog recently (I'll go check out Junior's birthday thread back in July). I must say that it couldn't have come at a better time. Thank you again for all your hard work.