Sunday, August 24, 2008

The History of Gospel Videos

These videos go along way in showing how gospel music is related to the blues. I hope that it helps the frat boys, the aging boomers and the corporate blues fans to go deeper into the roots of the blues. I know that it helped me to understand the relationship between these two great American music forms that I have been listening to all my life.

And not that it matters how you came to the music, it just helps to understand where the music came from.

The History Of Gospel 01
This clip features the Rev. Thomas Dorsey.


The History Of Gospel 02
This clip features Mahalia Jackson and Sister Rosetta Tharpe.


The History Of Gospel 03
This clip features Aretha Franklin, Clara Ward, Shirley Caesar & The Dixie Hummingbirds


The History Of Gospel 04
This clip features Rev. James Cleveland, Vanessa Bell Armstrong and Edwin Hawkins


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for these videos. Makes me hunger for the Gospel Tent at the New Orleans Jazz Fest.

fitzgerald said...

You are welcome. I try to post some Gosple blues every Sunday if I can. Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment.