Saturday, March 22, 2008

Harmonica Day 6 - Junior Wells

Junior Wells


There is no way that I could even try to do a blues harmonica week without doing a post on Junior Wells. The man is right up there with Liltle Walter in my mind. I love his song Messing with the Kid. It is one of the songs the attracted me to the blues harmonica. I also liked the style of Junior Wells and the work that he did with Buddy Guy.


Junior Wells Hoodoman Blues





Other cool videos at YouTube;

Junior Wells Mike Bloomfield - Messin With The Kid

Junior Wells - Help Me (1978)

Junior Wells - What'd I Say (1966)


Blogs that are hosting Junior Wells mp3s (get them while they are hot).

Blues Calendar Blues - Junior Wells. This is a interesting write up on Junior Wells and has four mp3s.

Reverend Frost Blog. This post has three mp3s.


the leather canary. This post has three mp3s and according to the post;

here are a few songs from a 1972 album buddy recorded with the late, great junior wells entitled buddy guy & junior wells play the blues...it was produced by eric clapton, tom dowd & ahmet ertegun, & clapton plays rhythm guitar throughout (save for a couple tracks cut with the j. geils band)...dr. john also shows up to play piano on "t-bone shuffle", but you can hardly hear him over buddy.
References;

Junior Wells@Wikipedia

Junior Wells@BluesHarp.ca

Junior Wells mp3 search @Elbo.ws

Junior Wells mp3 search @Hype Machine


3 comments:

Ricky Bush said...

Hey Fitz--

You seem like my kind of guy. I love the blues harp, and you're right about Junior Wells. He was an original that was absolutely up there with Little Walter. His James Brown emulations would get a little old, but he was for real. Good stuff you put up here. Anyway-

See ya--
Rick

Anonymous said...

Ricky, thanks so much for stopping by and leaving your thoghtful comment.

It is funny but I only recently saw video of Junior Wells doing James Brown. Because I never saw him live I did not know that he did that.

It was kind of like a mash-up of two of my favorite musicians. But I can understand what you are saying, becasue there was only one James Brown.

Ricky Bush said...

Yeah, and there was only one Junior Wells and he had his own unique thing going on. The same with Buddy Guy. When he got too extraneous with his guitar licks, I think his music lost focus, but when he bears down with his soul, he is untouchable.

See ya--
Rick