Thursday, February 11, 2010

Louis Armstrong "St. James Infirmary"

I can not go very long without hearing this song. And so here it is, "so cold, so sweet, so fair" for your enjoyment.



Notes from YouTube:

Armstrong's version of a classic popular piece. Enjoy.

I went down to St. James Infirmary,
Saw my baby there,
Set down on a long white table,
So sweet, so cold, so fair.
Let her go, let her go, God bless her,
Wherever she may be,
She can look this wide world over,
She'll never find a sweet man like me.
When I die, want you to dress me in straight-leg shoes,
Box back coat and a stetson hat,
Put a 20 dollar gold piece on my watch chain,
So the boys'll know that I died standing pat.

and from a comment;

there are two main Armstrong's version out there.

The first, very fast, dates back to 1928: "Louis Armstrong And His Savoy Ballroom Five", December 12, 1928 (watch?v=VMZPdAlgWvY)

The second, sadder and much more slower version, was first recorded in 1959: "Satchmo Plays King Oliver".

The one I put here is taken from : "Most Famous Hits", CD 1, 2000. It is almost identical to the 2nd studio version.


Louis Armstrong: Albums, CDs, & MP3s @Amazon.com


1 comment:

Ron Moorby said...

Love it Kelvin - love it!