Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Humbled by the blues

Friends, I just want to let you all know that I am humbled by the blues. I love this music so much, and when I started this blog I thought I had a good understanding of it all. I thought that because I was raised in the blues, listen to the blues, read about the blues, played the blues and had lived the blues that I really understood it.

But there is just so much to know, so many great songs, so many great musicians. So much culture that is related to the blues. So much history, and it never stops it just keeps on going. This music is high art, and don't let anyone tell you anything different.

You could spend your whole life studying just guitar players, you could spend your whole life just studying guitar players from the state of Mississippi. You could spend your whole life just studying slide guitar players from the state of Mississippi. Not to mention, singers, harmonica players, drummers, piano players and many other kinds of musicians in all different kinds of combinations from just the state of Mississippi. And then you could do it all over again for the states of Texas, Louisiana, New York, California, South Carolina, Illinois, just put your favorite state, city or even country where Mississippi is above.

I'm humbled and still I wonder "how blue can you get baby."


2 comments:

prin said...

:) yeah, it'd be great if the powers that be around here would really promote (sanctify) all this richness. granted they have acknowledged the "blues trail" and it's clearly marked throughout most of the state and clarkesdale is thriving from what I could tell but there is so much more that could be done. I'm just never going to get enough and I think they should do more...instead of build friggin huge baseball stadiums...baseball? really? anyway i read you every day just thought i'd pop over to let you know i'm still wit' ya :)

Ron Moorby said...

Always good to read a passionate man's heart