Monday, April 10, 2006

Sonny Boy Williamson II - Nine Below Zero Video

I have been asked who is my favorite harp player of all time. Well I have to admit that Aleck "Rice" Miller a.k.a. Sonny Boy Williamson II is the man.

Check out how effortlessly Sonny Boy Plays this tune. He even plays some notes without cupping the harp, while as a harp player I know this can be done. I am just surprised to see how easy he makes this look. Too cool.

When I grow up as a harp player I want to be just like Sonny Boy.

Also note that Otis Span is playing the piano on this cut, check out his break where he tickles the daylights out of those ivories.

Sonny Boy Williamson II - Below Zero Video @ YouTube.Com



You can read Sonny Boy's Bio @ Wikipedia.

Memphis Slim & Sonny Boy DVD


file under;
, , , ,


2 comments:

vickeybird said...

Little Walters has long been my #1 harp player and I really liked muddy's version of this song.
Thanks a lot for introducing SBW II. He does have a cool style of playing and i'll say great presence as well.
Which other SBW will you recommend?

mister anchovy said...

Sonny Boy had so many great songs - my favourites are Don't Start Me Talkin and Mr. Downchild.