Wednesday, November 23, 2011

It's The Birthday of R.L. Burnside - Blues Story - Poor Black Mattie

R. L. Burnside was born on November 23, 1926, and he passed away on September 1, 2005. May God rest his soul. I imagine that if heaven has a front poarch he is sitting out there playing his guitar.

He was a Delta blues singer, songwriter, and guitarist who lived much of his life in and around Holly Springs, Mississippi. I remember when he came on my radar screen back in the early 1990s, I played a cassette tape of his over and over. Wanting everybody I knew to hear this music. You could tell that he had been playing and living the blues all his life. Too bad that he only received reconigition in the latter part of his life.

These two videos below, give a glimpse into his world and his music.

RL Burnside - Poor Black Mattie


R.L Burnside talks bout killin a man


R.L. Burnside @SqueezeMyLemon
R.L. Brunside mp3s @Amazon.com


No comments: