Monday, June 12, 2006

What They Said: Howlin Wolf Video

There is no loss of people who will tell you what the bluesmen said. Sometimes I like to hear what they said in their own words.

Here is a delightful clip of Howlin Wolf talking about what he thinks the blues is.

He seems to be doing an intro for one of his sets, along the way he drops some wisdom about loving whiskey too much, and then goes on a rant about not leaving your shoes behind, when you find yourself in some "Devilment".



Howlin Wolf Talking about the blues @ YouTube

Seems like to me, old Howlin Wolf knew what he was talking about. This is too funny.

file under;
, ,


4 comments:

Michael Leddy said...

That's Son House in the string tie who's talking over Wolf and getting chastised. What a strange moment in blues!

Thanks for putting this clip on your blog.

fitzgerald said...

You are welcome. I noticed in the comment at YouTube that it was Son House, but I'm not sure.

They have an interesting exchange going there. I've listened to this one over and over again. You learn so much about the old bluesmen by listening to them talking.

They sang about women, whiskey and not being able to pay the rent, and it seems that they talked about these things too. I guess that is what living the blues is all about.

Michael Leddy said...

I thought it was Son House before seeing the comment, though he looked a bit too young. if you watch the video of Son House --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y914uexJ2mQ

you'll see the same tie and button-down shirt.

fitzgerald said...

Micheal,

Thanks so much for your informative comments. I can now see what you are saying about the string tie and shirt, it seems that Son House liked those ties. Notice on the ad on the right side of my blog for "The Devil Got My Woman" DVD that he is shown wearing one of those ties. I had not picked up on that. I will have to go back and check out other photos of him.

I love that link to the Son House video also. That song is a favorite of mine by Son House. I will probably post that here to the blog at some point soon.

And I'd also like to compliment you on your info packed blog, I am going to have to read you more often.