Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Blues Places: Memphis


The blues is not just people, it is stating the obvious to say that this music is made by people for people, but the blues is also about places. From the old bluesmen and women of the prewar years to the young college kids of the sixties who fueled the revival, people made it happen and are what we think about when talking about the blues. But it could also be argued that the blues is as much about places as it is about people. I think because people make places and they also make music, they create places that focus the music and give it a foundation, one such places for the blues is Memphis, TN.

Author David L. Cohn, wrote in his book "Where I Was Born and Raised," "The Mississippi Delta begins in the lobby of the Peabody Hotel in Memphis." That sounds right to me, when I look at a map it is obvious that Memphis is one of the great places of the blues. And that its influence stretches all the way down to the gulf of Mexico.

Here are a few of my favorite links that give information and history about the good city of Memphis;

The National Parks Service: Trail of the Hellhound Memphis site.

This page has some delightful photos and background information on the following Memphis blues sites.

Beale Street
Peabody Hotel
Orpheum Theater
706 Union Avenue the birthplace Sun Records.
W.C. Handy house.
W.C. Handy Park.

The National Parks Service: Memphis School History.

The above link is a detailed and interesting history of the Memphis blues scene and it goes a long way in describing how blues became the important blues center that it is.

a few other of my Memphis favorite links;
Memphis Official City Government Website
Memphis @ wikipedia.
Memphis Minnie @ wikipedia
Memphis Slim @ wikipedia
MemphisMojo.com
Stax Museum of American Soul Music


file under;
, , ,


4 comments:

mister anchovy said...

Tuffy and I have been to Memphis twice, and we really like the town....last time out, we ended up in a drowned, unkept cemetery in South Memphis, searching without success for the grave of one Furry Lewis, bluesman. That old cemetery was as fascinating as any museum, though, and I'm really glad we went. If I went back tomorrow, I'd be sure to stop at Neely's for BBQ right off the top! That place rocks (and if you go down the road to Nashville, be sure to stop for soul food at Harpers!!).

fitzgerald said...

mister anchovy, thanks for your comment. Man you are making me hungry. I have to plan a trip to Memphis just so I can get some good BBQ.

Julius Deane said...

I used to live there, and it's pretty damn-sure blues. Does that even make sense? One of my fondest memories is seeing Richard Johnston play at the Flying Saucer.

Is that cool? I'm not sure.

fitzgerald said...

jarret I Greeen,

That makes sense to me. Thanks for your comment. And you know cool is just a state of mind.