Thursday, June 08, 2006

Victoria Spivey - Black Snake Blues Video



One of the things I love about going back and looking at the prewar blues musicians is discovering those who I have not heard of before. Here is an example. I was searching for a different video clip for Lonnie Johnson. I posted a video of him singing "Another Night to Cry" last month, to compliment some mp3s of his that I had posted earlier.

And I came across this little gem, Victoria Spivey - Black Snake Blues. I am not that familiar with Mrs. Spivey's music, but I'm now busy as you read this coming up to speed on her. I hope to be able to post more of her stuff soon.

Notice that in this video she is being backed by Sonny Boy Williamson and Lonnie Johnson.



The reason that I was looking for a Lonnie Johnson is because it was in this month back in 1970 that he died after being struck by a car in Toronto. And I wanted to remember him by sharing some more of his music, and I think that this video is a fitting remembrance to him.

Great selection of Victoria Spivey ram files @ redhotjazz.com


file under;
, , ,


5 comments:

mister anchovy said...

The photograph on the back of Bob Dylan's New Morning album is of Weird Bob with Victoria Spivey. I've heard a few selections of her music, and I've enjoyed all of it.

vickeybird said...

Hey thanks a lot for this great post. This is first time I came across Victoria's music.

Porterhouse said...

Victoria Spivey was my Great Aunt. My grandmother was her sister Elton, also known as the Za Zu Girl. It's nice to see that there is still some interest in Miss Spivey 30 years after her passing. When I was a kid, she was just this kind of eccentric aunt. It took me many years to fully appreciate her contributions to the Blues. Check out the movie Hallelujah! if you can find it.

Anonymous said...

Can somebody tell me what type of style Victoria Spivey Black Snake Swingsong was.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.