Saturday, March 10, 2012

Carolina Chocolate Drops - Leaving Eden

In an article titled Carolina Chocolate Drops Hooked on Old Time Sounds NPR covers the Carolina Chocolate Drops New Album.

Carolina Chocolate Drops breathed new life into old-time music with the 2010 album Genuine Negro Jig, which put a contemporary spin on Southern string tools from the late 19th and early 20th centuries. That collection went on to win a Grammy for Best Traditional Folk Album.

"I really didn't hear old-time music until I got into the contra dance community," says Rhiannon Giddens, singer and founding member of Carolina Chocolate Drops. "I just fell in love with the banjos, played claw-hammer style. I'd never really heard a whole lot of that, and that was it. I was completely hooked."








No comments: