Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Devil rode on a big black stallion: Question

Someone asked via email;

Hello there,

I'm looking to download this song I lost a long time ago on cassette. I remember the lyrics because i've felt them every once in a while. Even during stable relationships, haha.

The devil rode on a big black stallion traveling in a cloud of flames (x3)
Drifter was his name
Driftre destroyed teh hearts of women all across the land (x3)
he lives in the minds I know, of evrey travelin' man

and so on, till the main lines appear:
The wind's my lover
and Drifter's my steed
and the devil's theonly friend
I'll ever need
The wind, the Drifter, the Devil an' me
we ride together through all eternity


If you know these lyrics, please end my search and tell me where they come from!

Enjoy your day and greetings from Holland!


----------------------
So I go to my old friend Google and enter in parts of the lyrics to see what I can come up with.

I start with "The devil rode on a big black stallion traveling in a cloud of flames" no quote marks.

I get a lot of hits from literature about black stallions, it seems that many books were written about black stallions, named devil.

So I try a few other combinations because I figure that the asker of the question may not be remembering the lyric just right, as is often the case.

Again I am coming up with many hits to items that have black, devil, and stallion in them.

So I think maybe I should simplify the search and put part of it in quotes for an exact match. So this time I enter "The Devil Rode on a Big Black Stallion"

Bingo I get a hit to Charles Mingus' album "Changes One" which has the song Devil Blues.


Which has the lyrics; "The Devil rode on a big black stallion, ridin' on a cloud of rain..."

I am guessing that this is the song that you are refering to.

Which gets me to thinking, wait a minute Robert Johnson wrote a song called Me and the Devil Blues. Which led me to...

Probably most interesting of all;

Robert Johnson - Me and the Devil Blues


Feel free to send any blues questions that you might have to my email address above, when I have time I like to do the research and find answers to interesting questions.

As it heats up, try to stay cool and stay blue.

Stumble Upon Toolbar
Post a Comment