Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Blues Piano Day 7 - Champion Jack Dupree

I was going to post a video of Bukka White playing some Boogie Woogie, because I think it is such a cool video.

Then I thought about posting this blues piano video (1), this one (2), this one(3), this one (4) and this one (5). And if you watch them all I am sure you will enjoy them.

But then I came across a video of a bluesman, whose music I truly love. It's funny to me that I did not think of Champion Jack Dupree when I thought of doing a week of post on the blues piano.

I guess it is true what they say about your memory being the second thing to go.

Champion Jack Dupree with King Curtis


Champion Jack Dupree



I like Mr. Dupree so much because he was a true man of Louisiana (and a man of the world too), his speech, his diction, his style, his rhythm and of course his musical skills all spring from his youth in Louisiana. And that may be why I did not think of of him at first. I have included too many bluesmen from Louisiana in my list of blues piano players I fear, but what can I say. It was not only Mr. Dupree's piano playing that attracted me to his music. I really like how he sings and talks. He had a way with words. Consider these quotations;

  • "When you open up a piano, you see freedom. Nobody can play the white keys and don't play the black keys. You got to mix all these keys together to make harmony. And that's what the whole world needs: Harmony."

  • "Nasty Boogie Woogie" by Jack Dupree
    Mama bought a chicken, she took him for a duck
    Laid him on the table with his legs stuck up
    Yonder come the children with a spoon and a glass
    Catch the gravy droppin' from his yes, yes, yes

  • "Death of Martin Luther King", recorded just after his assassination
    I know you people, I know you glad you ain't one of me
    I know you people glad, I know you glad you white and free
    Oh yeah, white and free, oh, what will, what will become of me?
    Oh I am begging, yes, I'm begging to be free.

Champion Jack Dupree mp3 posted @ This Recording Blog
The Life I Lead - the mp3 file is down the page.

reference;

Champion Jack Dupree @ Wikipedia

Illustrated Champion Jack Dupree discography

Wikipedia's List of Piano blues musicians

Champion Jack Dupree search @ YouTube


3 comments:

mister anchovy said...

Geez man, you've been posting some great music lately! I think Mr. Dupree was another top-rate player...

Stephen A. Bess said...

I am a huge fan of Champion Jack Dupree. My wife says that she has always been a fan as well growing up in South Africa. She said that they were/are big Blues fans in South Africa.

Anonymous said...

mister anchovy,

Glad that you like it. It is so important that regular readers like you enjoy my post. With your continued encouragement I will find the strength to carry on. I think B.B. King said it best when he said, "Everyday I have the blues."

Stephen Bess,

That is very interesting. Glad to hear that Mr. Dupree had fans in South Africa, that is one of the reasons that I call him a man of the world. He was truly loved in Louisiana, and we were sad when he passed away.