Saturday, August 07, 2010

James Cotton - Mighty Long Time 1997

cd-universe review

This is a sort of back-to-the-roots release from the veteran blues harp wizard. Two of the songs, "Hold Me in Your Arms," which has a "Mystery Train" feel, and "Straighten Up Baby," one of several cuts here featuring guitarist Jimmy Vaughan, were originally recorded by James Cotton in the early '50s at Sun Records.

LastFM
Cotton is truly a living blues legend, with a career spanning 65 years. Some of his many accomplishments include a Grammy in 1996 (and nominated for 3 other’s); 7 WC Handy Awards/Blues Music Awards; induction into the Smithsonian Institution and the Blues Hall of Fame; The Blues Foundation’s Howlin’ Wolf Award; Honorary and Lifetime member of the Sonny Boy Blues Society; and the Premier Harmonica Player Awards for 1999 and 2000 awarded by the Memphis Chapter of the National Academy of Record Arts and Sciences.






2 comments:

mister anchovy said...

I like James Cotton's music a lot. Among the first blues shows I had the pleasure of attending was a Muddy Waters show with The James Cotton Band opening, at the old Ontario Place Forum in Toronto. I was 15, and the show blew me away. Muddy was a legend and it was amazing to see him, but The James Cotton Band was hot, pure and simple.

Ron Moorby said...

I do like contributing to this blog - it is a voyage of discovery for me and has opened up new music for me. I bet the concert was a blast!