Thursday, June 14, 2012

Melissa Lauren - The Other Side

Home Site

A refreshing voice with interesting lyrics that  make you feel good.  A refreshing change to have an artiste who depends upon her own songwriting abilities rather than has a derivative bunch of songs from others.  Well worth a listen.

In her own words
My primary genre is jazz, however I like to think that this album
combines old school style with a more modern pop sensibilities.  ....

As much as I love standards, I have decided that there is tons of room for

new compositions in the realm of vocal jazz…hence all the originals.

In terms of my background, I started singing with a swing band at a young

age and find myself loving everything jazz and blues influenced.  After
recording my first solo jazz CD in 2006 I was invited to perform at the
Toronto Downtown Jazz Festival as well as the Beaches International Jazz
Festival and have been immersing myself in the local music scene ever
since.   ....


What's different:   The past two years I have been employed as a music
teacher at a school  people with neurological disorders (basically music
therapy)  I have recently tapped in to a new way of delivering and writing
music in a simple way, and teaching voice movement to people with autism.
I have in fact shaped this into a Masters thesis which I love to talk
about if asked…:) I like to think it has shaped the songwriting on the
Latest album..




No comments: